Relationship established 1999
Neuss is a city in North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany. It is located on the west bank of the Rhine opposite Düsseldorf, and owes its success to its location at the crossing of historic and modern trade routes.
Rheinbahn tram in downtown
Neuss was founded by the Romans in the year 16 BC as a military outpost (castellum) south of the city, on the confluence of the rivers Rhine and Erft, with the name of Novaesium. Later a civil settlement was founded in the area of today's center of the town during the first century AD. Novaesium, together with Augsburg (Augusta Vindelicorum) and Trier (Augusta Treverorum), is one of the three oldest Roman settlements in Germany.
Neuss grew during the Middle Ages because of its prime location on several routes, by the crossing of the great Rhine valley, and with its harbor and ferry. During the tenth century, the remains of the martyr and tribune St. Quirinus, not to be confused with the Roman god Quirinus, had been relocated to Neuss. This resulted in pilgrimage to the shrine of St. Quirinus even from countries beyond the borders of the Holy Roman Empire. Neuss was first documented as a town in the year 1138.
One of the main events in the town's history is the siege of the town in 1474/1475 by Charles the Bold, Duke of Burgundy that lasted for nearly a year. The citizens of Neuss withstood the siege and were therefore rewarded by the Holy Roman Emperor Friedrich III. The town was granted the right to mint its own coins and to carry the imperial coat of arms, the imperial eagle and the crown, in the town's own coat of arms. Neuss became a member of the Hanseatic League, although it was never accepted by the other members of the League.
In 1586, more than two-thirds of the city was destroyed by fire, and several wars during the reign of King Louis XIV of France resulted in worsening finances for Neuss. Its importance as a place for trading declined rapidly, and from the mid-seventeenth century onwards, Neuss became a place only important for its agriculture.
From 1794 until 1814, Neuss was part of France during the reign of Napoleon. Then in 1815 Neuss became part of Prussia, and was reorganized as a district with the municipalities of Neuss, Dormagen, Nettesheim, Nievenheim, Rommerskirchen and Zons. The town had a population of 6,333 at that time.
Neuss regained its economic power in the nineteenth century with expansion of the harbor in 1835 and increasing industrial activity. The city's boundaries were expanded in 1881.
In 1968 the city's name was changed from Neuß to Neuss. In 1975 the town of Neuss and the district of Grevenbroich were joined to form the district of Rhein-Kreis Neuss with a population of 440,000 and its seat of government in Neuss.
Sister City Structure/History
The official Sister City agreement between St. Paul and Neuss was signed between then Mayor Norm Coleman and Neuss Mayor Herbert Napp in 1999.
The Sister City relationship between St. Paul and Neuss found its roots in the then emerging European Economic and Monetary Union (EU): it was recognized that the EU would have a significant impact on the way Minnesota, and more specifically St. Paul, does business with Europe, and that the key to better understanding and working with the European Union was at the local level between cities.
The success of this relationship continues to strengthen through the volunteer efforts of many dedicated committee members, in addition to the tangible results of exchanges in the areas of commerce, education, and culture.